- takashioomoto: Maker culture is the "lip balm for men" of self-made craft. https://t.co/3PNaAL83m6
- lauraehall: @timbee @web_goddess I agree! It’s a cultural issue. As with many industries, like cooking and programming, when wo… https://t.co/DViWExXalU (in reply to timbee)
- Ronniethesilly: I once explained that we already have customized self made clothes, it's called sewing your own stuff. https://t.co/VoACM3aoj7
- JoaCHIP: @web_goddess Maybe my grandma wasn't just "making" me a pair of socks. She must've been a cottonbender and a woolhacker! (in reply to web_goddess)
- franklyrosalind: I learned how to build shit from my mom. When I was in first grace she built me a volcano costume out of hula hoops… https://t.co/tOEXsxDpsr
- ysolda: 😡😡😡 https://t.co/Zma7L41Oen
- pedantka: Pretty sure that "maker" culture self-identifies that way to avoid the feminisation of the word "craft".
This is… https://t.co/SW3nVHaEjY
- mippy: @web_goddess I wonder if it's like cooking, which is a thing that housewives do, and being a chef, which is a high… https://t.co/sCAuAwagCm (in reply to web_goddess)
- LuzDLuna: OH THE FURY 😠 https://t.co/w69F57Wlpw
- itsathought2: If a man sews a costume for cosplay – he's a maker. If a woman does – she is crafty. Language matters. It's how… https://t.co/Qc4OfDpKw2
- LiaSae: This.
But personally? I don’t want in, because Ravelry culture is just so much friendlier than maker culture.
- rahelab: @web_goddess Language matters, especially when used to create cultural distinctions and hierarchies. (in reply to web_goddess)
- cyberFluke: @CatbirbPony @web_goddess @DrNemski @auxesis Honestly, I'd prefer the term crafter. You "make" something because yo… https://t.co/b4GZekYVlv (in reply to CatbirbPony)
- chrisbentzel: Very true. Just because safety goggles aren't involved doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of sophistication and cr… https://t.co/yni6kmDIfh
- transprogrammer: I’m sorry but the sacrifices have to come from somewhere https://t.co/xeAi6qsVty
- messypixels: @JoaCHIP @web_goddess Totally going to update some of my online bios to say "woolhacker" 🙏😹😹😹 (in reply to JoaCHIP)
- nemshilov: Played with this old steam engine control room the other day. It is probably the best metaphor i have for my webpac… https://t.co/xi8oFIM5hw
- Akki14: but if a guy does those things he's Making. https://t.co/DypJlrM9Bc
- laura53246: The expression “maker” always irritated me. https://t.co/h0HQADLbIk
- BostonAnnemarie: This could not be more true. Women have been true makers for generations but we think of them as "crafters." Men ar… https://t.co/dDH35kvT9G