Month: September 2001 (page 1 of 14)
Random. A guy I graduated high school with just e-mailed me up out of the blue to say hi. He’d been browsing and found my site after searching on our school. Hi, Jer!
So anyway, I went to Google to try to reproduce his search to see if anybody else is on-line. In the middle of my results I came across this link, which is a list of all the high schools in Indiana and their nicknames. There are some weird names on there. Like, the nickname for the Indiana School for the Deaf is “Deaf Hoosiers”. WHAT? How about the New Harmony “Rappites”. What the hell is a rappite? And hello? The Indianapolis Northwest “Space Pioneers”? I’m also glad that I was never a River City “Ingot”. (Isn’t that a lump of metal?) And what about the Shoals “Jug Rox”? That’s not even a real word! Compared to those, Lakeland “Lakers” is a lot less embarrassing than I thought.
Saturday morning. 10:05 a.m. At my desk. Hung-over.
Luckily I’ve got a kiwi!
Weirdness. We were supposed to have our monthly meeting/drinks session tonight and rumors were flying about more layoffs, buyouts, etc. We were also dreading more of the horrendous Chardonnay they tried to pawn off on us last time. But oddly enough, when we got to the board room there were just cases and cases of Beck’s. And no meeting. Just drinks. On one hand it was really, really cool… but on the other hand, it was a little Twilight Zone.
And in further work-related news, after sitting on my ass for two weeks straight I’ve been suddenly asked to come in tomorrow for emergency work on McDonald’s. Yeah, I’m the friggin’ cavalry, and I’m riding to the rescue. So I’ll be here all day. Expect more blogging.
This morning I received one of those “Tell your friends lots of secret things about you” e-mails from Jann. As I’m still unallocated at work and bored out of my mind, I decided to answer via my weblog. It’s similar to other memes I’ve seen, but some of the questions are different. Feel free to play along if you want.
- What time is it? 2:01 pm, London time
- Name as it appears on your birth certificate: Kristine Michelle Howard
- Nickname(s): Kristy, Kris, Howie, Pants, w-g
- Parents names: Ron and Susie (yes, my dad’s name is “Ron Howard“)
- Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake: 24
- Date that you regularly blow them out? March 15th
- Pets: None currently, but we had a black pomeranian named Dale when I was growing up that I loved
- Eye color: Brown
- Hair color: Currently fire-engine red
- Piercing: One in left ear, two in right, one (formerly) in navel
- How much do you love your job? I guess I like it a lot compared to other things I could be doing (for less money with more effort), but it’s still not the kind of thing I’d like to be doing forever. I think my dream job is one where I get paid to work on web-goddess and Roald Dahl Fans.com.
- Favorite colour: Blue
- Hometown: I was born in Hicksville, Ohio, but I grew up all over northeastern Indiana. I guess I’d probably say Lagrange, which is where I went to high school.
- Current Residence: London, England, but looking to migrate Down Under ASAP
- Favourite food: Traditionally I’d say my Aunt Berb’s chicken and dumplings, but at this moment I’d give my right arm for a chicken Gordita Supreme
- Been to Africa? Nope
- Been toilet papering? Like I said, I grew up in Indiana. Going “teepeeing” is a universal rite of passage. In fact, I helped teepee somebody’s dorm room during freshman orientation week at college. THAT was fun.
- Loved somebody so much it made you cry? Since the question confuses me, I’m gonna have to say ‘no’.
- Been in a car accident? I rear-ended a Corvette. And once when I went to pick up my brother at baseball practice, I ran over a log and got my car stuck and had to be rescued by some construction workers.
- Sprite or 7UP? Sprite is the lesser of two evils.
- Favorite Movie: Too many to name, but I will say that my tape of the BBC miniseries “Pride & Prejudice” is starting to wear out
- Favorite Holiday: In the American “national holiday” sense of the word, Christmas. In the British “vacation” sense of the word, any and every trip I’ve ever taken to Cedar Point.
- Favorite day of the week: Friday (after 6:30 pm)
- Favorite word or phrase: I say “You’re terrible, Muriel” a lot. Snookums and I also have this habit we picked up from Cartman where we say -ty words as -tah, so we say “authori-TAH” and “securi-TAH” a lot.
- Favorite Toothpaste: Whatever’s cheapest.
- Favorite Restaurant: In London, probably Wagamama’s. At home, probably Chili’s or Taco Bell. (I have very pedestrian tastes.)
- Favorite Flowers: Sun flowers and gerbera daisies.
- Favorite Drink: Non-alcoholic is definitely Mountain Dew. Alcoholic is a tossup between lager, gin & tonic, and the cheap chardonnay the Indian delivery guy brings us for free.
- Favorite sport to watch: Notre Dame home football
- Preferred type of ice cream: Ben & Jerry’s “Chubby Hubby”
- Favorite Sesame Street Character: Snuffleupagus
- Disney or Warner Bros: Disney, of course
- When was your last hospital visit? Two weeks ago. I got an injection in my bum for probably the first time in twenty years. Very nostalgic, that.
- What colour is your bedroom carpet? Blue, I think
- How many times did you fail your drivers test? None! And since I got an ‘A’ in Driver’s Ed., I didn’t even have to take the written part. (Thank God, because I can’t parallel park to save my life.)
- Who is the last person you got email from before this? Some kid who visited my Dahl site
- Have you ever been convicted of a crime? Nope.
- Which single store would you choose to max out your credit cards: Seriously, Sam’s Club. Every time I’m there I just wish I had more to spend on discount books, cases of Snapple, and 40 pound bags of frozen burritos.
- What do you do most often when you are bored? Surf the net
- Name the person that you are friends with that lives the farthest? Probably my college roommate Eileen, who’s currently working in Nicaragua for the Peace Corps
- Most annoying thing people ask me: “Can you send me all the information about Roald Dahl? I have to write a paper.”
- Bedtime: Around midnight usually
- Favorite all time TV show: In terms of how long I’ve been watching it, probably Days of Our Lives
- Last person you went out to dinner with: Snookums and my sister last night
- Last Movie you saw: “Planet of the Apes”
- Time when you finished: 2:26 pm
That made me hungry. Time for lunch!